Friday, November 13, 2015

NaNoWriMo Day 13 - The Struggle And The Newfound Wisdom

Hi there! Today is November 13th and I'm finally, finally writing the NaNo-update I've been wanting to write for about a week now. NaNo itself has kept me so busy I haven't even read anything this past week, at all. Puh!

But for the past three days I have been sick, and after finally catching up on the chapter I was behind on, I decided it was time to tell you how it's going. Yesterday I started editing the first chapter of the second part, and here's what I've learned during November:

First of all, I've discovered that editing is hard. Truth is, I don't really know what I am doing - I have never before gotten to the stage of editing and it's difficult to decide what to keep and what has to go. In my head, everything is mixed up and detangling it all is a huge process, this giant jungle where I am lost and alone without a map. So yeah, there's that.

There's also the second thing I've discovered: Editing takes time. Since I have a long way to my school, and school five days a week, this is tricky. I squeeze in as much editing as I can at night, basically I have gotten home and gone straight to my computer these past two weeks. Then I've sat there until I can no longer avoid sleep. I've mostly managed to make it work though, mostly managed one chapter a day, which is something I'm really proud of. But I know I'm gonna have to go back through everything again, because though I edit I don't edit everything in the chapters. Then I really wouldn't have enough time.

Picture from my Instagram @teacupreads - My new Favorite Sweater and Notebook of Ides, where I go back and find strength when I need it. 

Third thing, the one I am most delighted to tell you about, is the great support I have found in my new-found writing friends this month, my most cherished ones Amanda and Martine. Last year, I didn't know anyone who participated in NaNo, so I did it all alone. I am completely taken away by the difference it makes to have someone else you can talk to, who is also struggling by their keyboard. Talking to them while writing sometimes takes my focus elsewhere, but also reminds me that it is okay not to know what I am doing or if what I am doing is good or bad, because it's like that for everyone.

If you are doing NaNo, please add me on the site! Over there I'm Teacupreads :) And tell me, how is NaNo going for all of you? What are your biggest struggles right now? Almost half the month has passed!

Also, for the chance that you're reading this, Hanna, I love you for being my biggest supporter in real life, even though you don't even know what I'm writing about <3

Have a great weekend, people!

No comments:

Post a Comment