Sunday, November 15, 2015

Book Review: Effortless by S.C. Stephens

Title: Effortless (Thoughtless #2)
Author: S.C. Stephens
Genre: New Adult, Romance
Pages: 487
Published: January 8th 2013

Summary: (Contains spoilers from the first book!)
After being caught in the middle of a love triangle that led to a devastating betrayal, Kiera pledged to learn from the mistakes she made. She was determined to never again inflict that kind of pain on anyone, especially the soulful, talented man who held her heart. 

But life offers new challenges for every relationship, and when Kiera's love is put to the ultimate test, will it survive? Love is easy;trust is hard.







______________________________________________________________________________________________

Review: (Spoiler-free)

The first book in this trilogy, Thoughtless, was one of those books that could have been a standalone but wasn't. Things were pretty tied up at the end, the whole triangle-drama got an ending, and though I was excited for this sequel I didn't really know what it would be about.

Like in the first book, and this might be a minor problem I have with Kiera, she makes a bird out of a feather. A problem that could have been solved easily isn't, and that problem is what the story is centered around. Both books portray a problematic relationship, only for different reasons, and while I read I'm thinking, why are you making it so hard? Because it doesn't have to be. This makes me feel, in a way, like the plot is a little thin - or maybe not the plot, but the conflict.

The thing is, though, that I don't mind. While I'm reading, I'm hardly thinking about it, because the characters feel like real, interesting people and I want to know what happens next in their lives even if it is just another day in their everyday life. And though the conflict might be a little weak, the characters feel so strongly about what happens that it doesn't matter, cause believe every word of it.

In this book, Kellan is (for reasons I won't tell you) not always close geographically to Kiera, and I thought this would be weird, since the entire story centers around the two of them. But Stephens is really skilled at what she does and I flew through this book, because it's fast-paced and constantly moving forward, the dialogue is witty and characters keep embarrassing themselves. Mainly Kiera.

This is a New Adult book, so I wouldn't recommend it to readers who are too young, but other than that I think this is something you might enjoy if you like contemporary novels. Just read the first book first, haha.



Other books in this series: (Links to Goodreads page)
1. Thoughtless
1.5 Thoughtful
2. Effortless
3. Reckless
4. Untamed

Have you read this book? What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment