Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Book Review: The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin


Title: The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer #2)
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Genre: Young Adult, Romance, Thriller
Pages: 528
Published: October 23rd 2012

SummaryMara Dyer once believed she could run from her past. She can't. 

She used to think her problems were all in her head. They aren't. 

She couldn't imagine that after everything she's been through, the boy she loves would still be keeping secrets. She's wrong. 

In this gripping sequel to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, the truth evolves and choices prove deadly. What will become of Mara Dyer next? - Goodreads





________________________________________________________________________________________________

Review: (Spoiler-free)

I first started reading this book back in October 2014, but I only finished it a couple of weeks ago, which makes this book one of those that are really hard to review. I can't exactly recall my feelings for the first part of the book, and I also have a hard time recalling all of the events. But I will try my best to remember. 

The reason why it has taken me so long to finish this book is not, as one might guess, because I didn't like it. I really did like it - the story is fast-paced and the mystery of what is happening to Mara and what is real and not makes it a real page-turner. You simply need to know. The reason why I did not finish this book in one sitting is because it is also very creepy, and I'm both paranoid and easily scared. Yup. 

For a while, I was scared of the mirror in my bathroom because I felt like Jude would be standing behind me in it, smiling creepily. I have a wild imagination and it haunts me when I try to sleep at night, especially when I read stuff like this. Creepy can be both good and bad. If you like creepy, you'll love Mara Dyer. If you don't like creepy, you might like Mara Dyer anyways, but you won't like sleeping alone anymore. 

“Everyone is a little crazy. The only difference between us and them is that they hide it better.” 

Aside from this, what makes this story so special is that when I read, I really have no idea if what I'm reading is real or not. This, to me, is fascinating, and very well done by Michelle Hodkin. It draws you in like a hurricane, and it goes faster and faster the farther in you get. It also has a love story worth swooning over, so it definitely deserves all the attention it has gotten. 

The only thing I can think of that isn't so good is that compared to the first book, I feel like this one was a bit drawn out. It could of course be a side-effect of the fact that it took me a total of ten months to read it, but I still get the feeling of "Oh, this is happening. But something similar has happened before, though, right?" and that it is a bit slower to get trough. Also, while I do not complain on the love that we are given in this book, I would want the love itself to take more space in the story. Love keeps me going. 

Over-all, this book is creepy but in a lot of ways brilliant. It has a quick pace and an easy-to-love love-interest, also an interesting story-line. If you haven't read this book, you should do it! Myself, I will buy the last book in the trilogy soon, because I need the rest of the story!


Other books in the series: (Links to Goodreads)
1. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
2. The Evolution of Mara Dyer
3. The Retribution of Mara Dyer


Have your read this series? Did you like it?


No comments:

Post a Comment