Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Book review: 1984 by George Orwell

Title: 1984
Author: George Orwell
Genre: Dystopia
Pages: 328
Published: July 1st 1950

SummaryThe year 1984 has come and gone, but George Orwell's prophetic, nightmarish vision in 1949 of the world we were becoming is timelier than ever. 

1984 is still the great modern classic of "negative utopia" -a startlingly original and haunting novel that creates an imaginary world that is completely convincing, from the first sentence to the last four words. No one can deny the novel's hold on the imaginations of whole generations, or the power of its admonitions -a power that seems to grow, not lessen, with the passage of time. - Goodreads





_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Review: (Spoiler-free)

This will be a short review, mostly because I don't have a lot to say. The booktuber Ariel Bissett has been talking a lot about 1984 and so when I got the chance to read it for English class in school, I did. If I hadn't read it for school, though, I probably wouldn't have finished it.

Fact is that I like it more now than I did when I read it, because it was so slow and boring to read, but it has a message that is interesting. I read more for entertainment and this was focused on the political message. Maybe if it had been written differently I would have enjoyed it more.

What is good about it is that it differs from other dystopian stories. Firstly, it isn't YA so of course some elements are different from what I usually read, but mostly because of the ending, which I'm not gonna spoil. The end saved the book in my opinion, because it's what I remember most afterwards.

I don't really recommend this book. It has a good political message and it's a classic, so a lot of people know about it, but I found it slow and frankly, quite boring. If you want to read it though, don't let this review stop you.



Have you read it? Did you like it?

No comments:

Post a Comment